WRAL.com Classifieds Help
Please read this help page for information about
our classifieds, including placing and browsing listings and
contacting sellers. If you do not find an answer to your question,
contact our Customer
Service Department by e-mail or call our
24-hour Help Line at 919-821-8784. We try to respond to your
questions within 24 hours, excluding weekends.
About Our Classifieds
WRAL.com Classifieds offer buyers and sellers enhanced features:
A separate login and password is no longer required to use the WRAL.com Classifieds. Now you can use your WRAL.com login and password to access the classifieds and access other premium features, such as e-mail alerts, story commenting and customized radar views
Listing options have been simplified. Premium Listings now allow for up to 12 photos.
The new site offers more listings from local sellers through a partnership with Oodle.com.
Sellers who purchase a Premium Listing will have their ad sent to other classified sites, such as Oodle, Google Base, Vast and Trulia (real estate only).
Sellers have advanced tools to administer their listings. Track views, forward and e-mails when you place a Premium Listing.
Buyers can receive e-mail alerts when new items are listed that match their search criteria.
Having Trouble Logging In?
A separate login and password for the WRAL.com Classifieds is no longer required. To access the new classifieds, you must be a registered user of WRAL.com and logged in when you visit. The login area for WRAL.com can be found just to the left of the Search box at the top of each page, near the the Doppler radar image. Note: If you are already logged in, your first name should appear next the to the Search box.
If you already have a WRAL.com account, login with that information. If you had an account with CityXpress for classifieds, a WRAL.com login has been created for you already using your e-mail address and the password you previously used to access your classifieds account.
If you have never registered for WRAL.com or the CityXpress classifieds, then you will need to register.
Shopping in the WRAL.com Classifieds is convenient and fun. Start by browsing the categories for items that interest you, or search by keyword to find a specific item. Use Advanced Search to narrow your search and return fewer matches.
Simply click on a category name to see all items in that category. You can browse by category and subcategory. For example, in the following list of categories you can click on Automotive to view all items in that major category, or click on Car to only view those items in that minor category.
To make an offer, contact the seller by telephone or e-mail (if provided) or by using the link on item description page to send a note to the seller. When using e-mail or the Web form, enter your offer amount, the quantity you'd like buy, and a comment (such as how you plan to pay) that may encourage the seller to accept your offer.
It is entirely up to the seller to respond to your messages.
Contacting a Seller
You can contact a seller anonymously through the WRAL.com Classifieds, using the Send a Message to the seller feature. A form on the website allows you to write a message to the seller. The message is emailed to the seller, but your contact information is not revealed. Sellers may post replies to you in the same manner.
If a seller provides a phone number, an email address or other contact info, you may also use this to ask them questions about the item.
If you make a purchase, you can use this feature to contact the seller to arrange to exchange payment and goods.
Shipping and Payment
Sellers may indicate their preferred payment method and options for shipping or pickup in their item listing. If not, you can use the Send a Message feature to find out more information from the seller.
Some sellers may offer to accept payment via PayPal and ship the item to you - check the item description for details.
Watching for New Items
If you search the classifieds and don’t see the item you want, consider using the Filter Listings feature, which is available to registered users.
Listing an item for sale is fast and easy. The system guides you through this listing process: Select a category
Select a package (free or enhanced listing)
Enter a name and a description of your item
Upload photo(s), if desired. We currently accept any JPG image less than 2 MB in size.
Review your listing
Pay for your listing (if applicable)
Once you've submitted your listing, you can view messages that buyers submit. You can also edit and renew your listing.
The following types of ads are not allowed:
Ads that solicit payment via wire transfer, bank transfer, or money order.
Ads containing vulgar language, racial slurs, or advocating violence of any kind.
Ads promoting the sale or use of illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia.
Ads promoting investment opportunities that do not comply with federal, state and local laws and regulations.
Ads involving online gambling of any kind.
Ads involving software hacking or pirating.
Ads for guns, weapons or fireworks of any kind.
Shop Smart and Avoid
As a buyer, you can take steps to ensure your shopping experience is enjoyable, satisfying, and safe.
Before you buy...
• Read the product description carefully. Look at any accompanying photographs, and be clear about what you are buying. Is the asking price realistic? Compare the price with other similar items and be skeptical if it seems too low. Who will pay for shipping costs? Has the seller provided any payment options or information on shipping? If you need further information about the listing, contact the seller using the Send a Message to the Seller feature. Understand that it is up to you to learn as much as you can about the item before you buy it.
* If you see a listing that is offensive or that you suspect is fraudulent, click the Report Abuse link on that listing. We will promptly review the ad and remove it if necessary.
• Use caution with sellers who promise you their item at a lower price if you complete the transaction outside of the online marketplace site. It could be a scam.
• When you are prepared to make a realistic offer of bid, remember that if your offer is accepted or your bid wins, you have entered a binding contract to purchase the item and you are obligated to follow through with the transaction. If you refuse to complete the transaction, you may lose your shopping privileges in this marketplace.
Before you pay...
• Discuss payment options with the seller. Be cautious of sellers that only provide one option. Decide if you are comfortable sending payment prior to receiving your goods.
• When arranging payment and pickup of purchases, protect your privacy by revealing only the essential details of your contact and personal information. Do not provide any personal information such as your social security (social insurance) number, credit card number, driver's license number, or bank account number to the seller or any escrow or online payment service until you have verified their legitimacy.
• Do not send payment by wire transfer. Wire transfers are best reserved for situations where you know the person you are sending it to.
• Insist that the seller arrange for shipping insurance and have them provide you with a tracking number so you can monitor the delivery.
• Protect yourself by documenting all transactions with the seller.
Tips for Sellers
As a seller, you can take steps to ensure your own success and to prevent yourself from becoming a victim of an online scam.
To become a trusted seller...
• When placing your ad, describe your product honestly. Is it new, used, or reconditioned? Is your asking price realistic and fair. Have you posted a photo of your item that portrays it accurately? Have you specified payment and shipping options? Have you provided the buyer with enough information to make an informed decision?
• Do not place bids on your own item to drive up the final selling price. This is considered fraud and is called "shilling".
• Contact the buyer as soon as a purchase is made to discuss payment and shipping options. Once you receive payment, promptly ship the item to the buyer.
To protect yourself from scam...
• Use caution with buyers who offer to overpay you. A common scam involves the buyer paying you more than you ask for and then requesting a refund. Unfortunately, the original payment sent by the buyer is usually not legitimate.
• Beware of buyers who are in a hurry to get the goods. Be certain that the payment has successfully gone through before you ship the goods.
• When shipping your merchandise, purchase insurance and provide a tracking number to the buyer so both of you can monitor the delivery. This will protect you against buyers who claim they never received the package and request a refund.
• If a buyer gives you a cashiers check or money order, have your financial institution verify it and wait for it to clear before shipping the goods. Another option is to insist upon a check drawn on a local bank so you can visit the bank yourself to ensure the check is valid.
• Protect yourself by documenting all transactions with the buyer.
You can also protect yourself from fraud by becoming knowledgeable about the latest online scams. Visit the following websites to find out more information or to file a fraud report:
Federal Trade Commission
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3)
Fraud Warning: Pet-Air